VTB Bank (Ukraine) is a stable universal bank that is among the country’s largest banking institutions according to the classification by the National Bank of Ukraine. The bank specialises in all-inclusive servicing of large corporate clients, small and medium-sized businesses, as well as services for private clients.
High costs of licence renewal for the software suite deployed earlier made the bank’s IT department look for a high-quality and functional replacement. Apart from being economically viable, the replacement needed to be an effective addition to the existing software infrastructure based on Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1.
The existing Microsoft Core CAL licence package included Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection 2012, which, in conjunction with Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, provided a complete solution.
Microsoft Endpoint Protection 2012
The existing Microsoft Core CAL licence package included Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection 2012, which, in conjunction with Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, provided a complete solution having certain advantages that secured the choice:
• Centralised deployment and configuration of Endpoint Protection client
• Customisation of the existing standard and individual user group security policies protecting against potentially dangerous software
• Creation and application of Windows Firewall settings for user groups
• Configuration Manager software updates to enable automatic download of the latest versions of the potentially dangerous software detection files to client computers
• Assigning users to manage security policies as pertains to potentially dangerous software and Windows Firewall settings with a built-in security role — Endpoint Protection Manager
• E-mail notifications with reports about installation of potentially dangerous software on computers
• Complete assessment of system protection level and its compliance with the existing standards with the combined database of potentially dangerous programs, bug fixes, and resource inventory and utilization
Involvement of SI BIS as the project integrator was a logical step, based on the previous cooperation between the two companies and the skill level of SI BIS experts in tackling these specific issues.
Having assessed the needs and considered all suggestions of VTB Bank management, SI BIS experts did the following:
- Restored component operation and configured the existing SC 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 infrastructure
- Installed SC Endpoint Protection on client computers
- Created a role-based management model
- Tested the system
- Prepared accompanying project documentation
Deployment of Microsoft Endpoint Protection 2012 enabled the bank top slash spending on the annual licence renewal of the existing anti-virus package. Owing to high professionalism of SI BIS experts, all project activities were completed in the shortest time possible, especially when it came to the migration of all VTB Bank services without downtime and data loss.